• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Syt

Holstein's Envoy in Vienna
140 Badges
Jan 26, 2001
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Deus Vult
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
Alright, I'm a bit rusty with this. I haven't started an AAR in ... a long time. A long time.

I admit I was very sceptic about V2. I was disappointed by EU3 at release (though this later turned into a very great game with its expansions), was disappointed with EU:Rome, and, never a big fan of the HoI series, the HoI3 release left me cold - the release issues only exacerbated this.

I followed the Developer Diaries loosely - lurking, never commenting. Some of the design decisions I didn't like. Some looked good. However, as the game covers my favorite era in history, and Vainglory/Pride of Nations still a way in the future I got lured into pre-ordering V2.

I tried the demo, and I like what I see. The interface is much better than in any Paradox game, the map does NOT suck for a change, and the atmosphere permeats all aspects of the game. What I see in AARs and forum comments is encouraging. Yes, there seem to be issues. But from the looks of it those look fixable in patches and mods, because it's mostly balancing.

Anyways, got carried away a bit there.

This is my first AAR entry in a very long time. I used to be active in the EU2 AAR forums around 2002/3 a fair bit, but I never quite finished any of my ambtious AARs. I hope that this attempt will not suffer the same fate, because it will be gameplay based and not a character based narrative. ;)

DON'T LAUGH AT ME, ARGENTINA
Or: How Syt tries to learn the game and probably makes a fool of himself in the process.

ar1897w.gif

While I wait for the download to go online a few introductory words.

I'm a casual player. I don't game a system, and I don't seek World Conquest with a one province uncivilized minor. I like to roleplay my games a bit and I "go with the flow" most of the time, not laying out a Great Master Plan For World Domination (GreMasPlaFWorDom). Don't read this AAR if you want to learn about how to be most effective in beating the AI or become proficient in MP. Don't expect hyper-exciting wars fought by the player (me), as I'm usually a peaceful diplomat in these games. I will keep you updated about what's going on in the world, though. :)

That said, the agenda of the Argentine government will thus be:
  1. Modernize. Beautiful catch all term that dazzles the masses.
  2. Become the leading economical and military power in South America. I.e. research and industrialize and build troops.
  3. If possible, become more powerful than small or medium European countries. Goes with #2.
  4. Become a Great Power and South American hegemon. That probably means war at some point. And maybe holding off foreign influences. We'll see if I get anywhere near this.

While achieving these goals, we will also try to ovserve these secondary items:
  • Retain a good reputation among the nations of the world. I.e. I will try to avoid infamy hits.
  • Tend to the well-being of all Argentine people and lead them into a prosperous future. Make sure they're fed, happy and pay taxes.
  • Observe democratic process whenever possible.

Well, as there's little else to say till I cna actually play the game in, oh, an hour, here's a little recap of the events so far, courtesy of Wikipedia - yes, I'm that lazy. ;)

PROLOGUE
European explorers arrived in Argentina in 1516. Spain established the Viceroyalty of Peru in 1542, encompassing all its holdings in South America, and founded a permanent colony (Buenos Aires) in 1580 as part of the Governorate of the Río de la Plata.

ba-graphictowni.jpg

The area, which encompassed much of the territories that would later become Argentina, was largely a territory of Spanish immigrants and their descendants, known as criollos, mestizos, native cultures, and descendants of African slaves. A third of Colonial-era settlers gathered in Buenos Aires and other cities, others living on the pampas as gauchos, for instance; indigenous peoples inhabited much of the remainder.

Buenos Aires increased its political power and influence because of this, and became the region's chief port. In 1776, the Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata was created over some former territories of the Viceroyalty of Peru. Buenos Aires was chosen as its capital, and the previous reliance on contraband evolved into a flourishing commerce with Spain. The city, in 1806 and 1807, was the site of two ill-fated British invasions. The news of the overthrown of the Spanish King Ferdinand VII during the Peninsular War created great concern in the Viceroyalty. The May Revolution of 1810 took place in Buenos Aires, removing Viceroy Cisneros from government, who was replaced by the Primera Junta.

225px-Baltasar_Hidalgo_de_Cisneros.jpg

Viceroy Cisneros

During the following decade, a War for independence ensued in the former Viceroyalty, its regions divided between patriots and royalists. While the cities of present-day Argentina would align with the independentists since 1811, the other regions would follow differing paths: in May 1811, Paraguay seceded, declaring its independence. The Upper Peru would be hardly fought with the royalists from Peru, until it declared independence as Bolivia in 1824. The Eastern Bank of the Uruguay river would be invaded by the Brazilian-Portuguese Empire in 1817 and declared independence as Uruguay in 1828 after the Argentina-Brazil War.

Contemporarily, internal conflicts would cause political instability within the patriot camp. In just four years, the Primera Junta was to be replaced by the Junta Grande, the first and second triumvirates, and the first Supreme Director. In 1813, an Assembly convened to declare independence, but it could not do so because of political disputes. A Civil War ensued between the provinces joined into the Federal League and the Supreme Directorship.

By 1816, the United Provinces of South America were under severe internal and external threats. In July, a new Congress declared independence and named Juan Martín de Pueyrredón Supreme Director. The military campaign became the responsibility of José de San Martín, who led an army across the Andes in 1817, and defeated the Chilean royalists. With the Chilean navy at his disposal, he then took the fight to the royalist stronghold of Lima. San Martín's military campaigns complemented those of Simón Bolívar in Gran Colombia, and led to the independentists victory in the Spanish American wars of independence.

batalla-de-cepeda1.jpg

The 1820 Battle of Cepeda, fought between the Centralists and the Federalists, resulted in the end of the centralized national authority, creating a power vacuum (usually called the Anarchy of 1820). A new Constitution was only enacted in 1826, during the War with Brazil, when Bernardino Rivadavia was elected the first President of Argentina. This Constitution was soon rejected by the Provinces, because of its centralist bias, and Rivadavia resigned shortly after. Then, the provinces reorganized themselves as the Argentine Confederation, a loose Confederation of provinces that, lacking a common Head of State, would instead delegate some important powers, such as debt payment or the management of international relations, on the governor of Buenos Aires Province.

donJuanManuel.jpg

Juan Manuel de Rosas would rule from 1829 to 1832, and from 1835.

I still remember have fond memories of reading your EU2 AARs, so it is a great pleasure to see you return to writing.

From your introduction it seems that we will be exposed to that most unusual of things, an AAR focused on internal developments in a mostly peaceful nation. If you can stand by your principles and the world and your people let you, that is. Starting far away from the centre of turmoil, Europe, you are likely to succeed.

Good luck.

Thanks, Peter. :) I'll see how peaceful I can remain to achieve my goals. :D

1836 - State of the Argentine Nation

A look at our internal politics situation.

1836politics.jpg

Argentina is a presidential dictatorship (as is half of South America). The ruling party is the conservative Partido Federal, and that chimes well with our people, so let's leave them in power.

Economically, they're interventionist free-traders. That means I have an upper limit of 25% for tariffs, and have a few means of influencing capitalists (subsidies, closing factories).

The issues that concern my people - there are no voters in a dictatorship - can be seen on the bottom left. I can't enact Social or Political Reforms. Ah well, we'll get to that at some point.

The press is unsurprisingly censored in the dictatorship. Political parties are forced into the underground. Unions are illegal. I'm not happy with that, but there's a whole century ahead of us during which we can create a textbook democracy. :)

I have two potential decisions - the generic Military-Industrial Complex that boosts military/industrial research while neglecting cultural research. I need 45 prestige and 100 military score, so that's a bit out of reach right now. Law 1420 is an educational law for Argentina. I need a conservative government for this (check) and must have the Social Science research (not check) to get a one time 220something in research points. Considering that even first level techs require 3600 research points and Social Sciences are pretty late in the research tree this will not be a high priority right now.

The brave people of Argentina:

1836population.jpg

The good news: no militancy anywhere. The bad news: only 4 capitalists, and they can't fulfill their needs. At all. Also, while the populace is largely conservative the clergy is an exception - they're over 50% liberal. I may have to pay some attention to them. Otherwise not too many surprises here.

The Argentine economy:

1836production.jpg

Wool, cattle, timber. Fruit and grain to some extent, though we're also importing grain. The artisans focus on not too fancy items. I'm curious how the artisans that specialize in fertilizer will do in a short while - the sulphur they require has to be imported. And as we're not very high in the prestige hierarchy this could be tricky.

Our budget:

1836budget.jpg

The bad news: we're in deficit now, so we'll have to either raise taxes or cut spending. More bad news: our middle class has trouble getting their life needs (red section of the pie chart). For now I raise the taxes slightly on the poor (who're doing ok) while reducing military spending slightly (I guess I won't be in a war right away) and lowering taxes for the middle class a bit. Deficit is still at -5, but I'll wait a couple months to see how things develop.

Argentina and the World:

1836diplomacy.jpg

Our best friends at the moment are the United Kingdom, Uruguay, Paraguay and Mexico. The UK also has 25 influence on us. I guess I will need to keep an eye on this to avoid falling into their sphere of influence. On the other hand, being part of their common market could be an advantage. Hm. I'll have to think about that.

At opening the game a number of alliances formed. Two of them involved South American nations: Colombia signed a pact with the United States of Central America. And Brazil, our big rival for dominance (we're at +25, actually), signed an alliance with the Netherlands. In Europe, Prussia and Austria allied various German nations.

Prussia and the Netherlands also formed an alliance. And in Asia Japan and China became allies.

I could ally the British, but would that bring us closer to being in their sphere of influence? Anyways, the chances for this are "Impossible". Uruguay is "unlikely" to sign an alliance. Paraguay, on the other hand, is "likely" to agree to a pact, so we send an offer their way. With only one diplo-point left I can't do much more, but I plan on cuddling up with Paraguay and Bolivia. Uruguay and Chile are midterm goals for subjugation.

Speaking of conquering the continent.

Argentina and surrounding nations:

1836map.jpg

(Unfortunately I can't zoom out further on my laptop.)

South of Argentina are still unclaimed lands. I would set a colonization focus to the areas south and send the army to aid with it, but as I'm only a civilized nation I can't do that. I'll need at least Secondary Power status. So I guess I'll have to crawl my way up the top 16 of nations first. Ok. We can do that. I guess.

We have 28,000 soldiers right now. They're near Buenos Aires, and I'll keep them there for now.

Apropos Buenos Aires.

1836ba.jpg

As it's my capital I encourage people to become capitalists, thereby using my sole National Focus point. I also notice I have "Immoral Business" in the province (and a few others). While the icon suggests otherwise it means that enterpreneurs are greedy and put their profit first, no matter what. In game terms this causes a 20% income drop for Resource Gathering Operations (RGOs). I don't have the cash right now to increase the administration spending to deal with them, so for now I have to tolerate it.

I notice the shiny "Build Navy" button. I'm tempted enough to order a shiny Manowar for Argentina. The beginnings of the great albiceleste navy?

Time to unpause the game. I guess I'll update the AAR every 5 years or so (game time, not real time ;) ).

Wow! Great to see another AAR from you Syt. I fondly recall your EU2 AARs. Good luck with this!

Thanks, coz. :)

Part 1: 1836 - 1839

The first thing that happened to our nation was a colossal Budget nose dive. It levelled out somewhat after half a year, but that's not due to the better economical situation in Argentina - it's because there's a lack of stuff I can buy off the world market. I guess that's what I get for being at the lower end of the food chain.

My Man-o-war, so proudly announced .... well, see for yourself, 4 years later:

manowarn.jpg

We also disbanded an army to free up some money.

We have managed to increase the number of my capitalists, and they've started some interesting projects, but they suffer the same problems as my naval yards (though they do manage to get a few things from the market or my artisans):

factoryconstruction.jpg

At first glance my budget looks horrid:

1836budget.jpg

However, the big deficit is never realized, because the goods that would cause it (mostly army upkeep - canned food, small arms, etc. and supplies for my ship) are not available. Even if they were, I'd not be very worried, because my National Bank can offer me quite some credit.

However, my taxes seem off. I have high taxes on the poor, but they can still lead the good life. In the middle strata, the artisans are without income, mostly because they produce stuff for which they can't buy resources, e.g. fertilizer or ammunition, therefore achieving no income.

The aristocrats are swimming in money; however, I don't want to tax that strata too much, because my capitalists are strapped for cash.

I will have to lower my payments to the clergy, though. Literacy is not rising very fast, but a lot of the clergy are getting so filthy rich they become aristocrats. I'll raise my administrative expenses in turn, because richt bureaucrats have a good chance of becoming capitalists.

The population on January 1st, 1840:

1841population.jpg

The artisan share of the population has dropped by 3%. The population itself has remained rather stable. Maybe it's time to attract immigrants?

The artisans are the unhappiest group, especially the liquor distillers in Buenos Aires. Thanks to a few unpopular decisions towards minorities the share of Platineans has risen.

The Upper House was reconstituted as 100% conservative in 1837, and it hasn't changed since.

Chile and Peru asked us to join alliances. Since we were not friendly enough with anyone else, we gladly accepted. We've also buttered up Bolivia somewhat. The South American continent is by now somwhat tangled in a web of alliances. Fortunately we were not involved when Brazil brutally invaded Paraguay to gain controll of the Mato Grosso.

Our scientists have developed an Experimental Railroad in Spring 1839. Now we only need the cash and materials to build some tracks. The children of Buenos Aires will surely be impressed by the model riding a small track in the capital.

railroad.jpg

The science council chose something more useful for the next research project and appointed researchers to check out what this "Freedom of Trade" is actually about that we have in the ruling party's program. It should increase mining and farming output by 50% each (though reducing farms and mines by 2%).

Elsewhere in the world:

Mexico annexed Texas in 1837. In the same year the United States declared Manifest Destiny and took steps towards their domestic tensions that are caused by the slavery issue.

Also in 1837 France went to war with Spain to conquer Luzon in the Philippines. Irritatingly, the war is fought in Northern Spain, not in the Pacific. In 1839 the French achieve their goals and receive Luzon after occupying nearly 15-20% of mainland Spain.

Prussia and her German allies declared war on France in 1837, too. As of early 1840 this war is still ongoing with Prussian troops in France.

Austria and her Italian allies declared the war on Prussia as well in 1837. In 1839 parts of Prussia were occupied by Parmese troops and Prussia was forced to accept Austrian hegemony in Germany (at least that's what we think from the peace message ... ).

The British, meanwhile, have managed to conquer French Madras in India.

However, the big deficit is never realized, because the goods that would cause it (mostly army upkeep - canned food, small arms, etc. and supplies for my ship) are not available
Ah, I was wondering about that. Interesting reading so far, I'll be paying attention because I'm currently trying (read: failing at) an Argentina learning game. Not wiping out my clergy is proving to be surprisingly difficult...

Good luck on your AAR! I just started Argentina too and noticed the budget deficit despite cutting expenses to bone and raising taxes. ANY military spending is crazy if you can't even balance a budget (so no new ships or brigades). I would have recommended Freedom of Trade as that gives immediate production bonuses, I am awaiting that to finish to see if I can balance my budget. I don't know why the designers made a system where it seems impossible to balance the budget out of the gate.

Ok, I have to confess. I got sucked into the game to such a degree that I didn't really take many notes or any screenshots. :eek:

Anyways, a short recap for 1872.

For some reason the reactionaries came to power, and I can't select a different ruling party. I guess I missed an event somewhere.

The liberals are the strongest party in the Upper House, around 40%, followed by conservatives, reactionaries and a small group of Anarcho-Liberals.

My capitalists have still not managed to finish building their factories, probably due to lack of cash. I was able to get a grip on my budget (no idea how I did it, to be honest). I've since built two factories (my reactionaries are state capitalist), cloth - not realizing that my wool doesn't go into those - and cement. Both are sorely understaffed.

I'm always close to becoming a secondary power. I've fought three wars: to humiliate Uruguay, then to take two cores from Bolivia, and finally to annex Uruguay. Now I wait for infamy to come down. I've also built two manowars. Research is not fast, so I focus on production techs and railroads. A recent event allowed me to conduct a botanical expidition to Australia which helped my prestige a bit.

Elsewhere in the world: Prussia gets slapped every couple of years by Prussia, France or Belgium. They're secondary power most of the time. Portugal and Russia have started dividing Arabia among them. Japan has not civilized yet. The CSA seceded in 1839, but was re-conquered by 1866. Mexico and the U.S. have not been in a major war, so a lot of North America is Mexican, though they've been swamped with Jacobin rebels recently and had to release Texas. The UK has conquered Alaska from Russia and Montana from the U.S.

Spain had a brief spell of a bourgeois dictatorship before becoming an absolute monarchy.

I think I should save more thorough AARs for later replays ... currently too much is still new and shiny. :eek:

Interesting recap. I tried Argentina as my first game and had the same problem as others - an immediate budget dive towards bankruptcy. I was thinking I missed some income creating decision but it sounds like everyone is facing that.

I'll try again and see how deficit spending goes for me.

Interesting recap. I tried Argentina as my first game and had the same problem as others - an immediate budget dive towards bankruptcy. I was thinking I missed some income creating decision but it sounds like everyone is facing that.

I'll try again and see how deficit spending goes for me.

Simple solution: go for Freedom of Trade, +50% production of all your stuff :)

*subscribed*

Interesting. thank you for including some of your reasonings. makes for an interesting - and educational - read :)

Nice, I'll follow this AAR. I was planning an Argentina AAR, its a good thing I chose an other country for it. This board is too small for two argetina AARs :D
Well good luck.

Thanks for doing the AAR - nice to know there are others who play rather conservatively. :)

Can't tell from your last comment if you're planning on continuing this, or if you'll come back later with another AAR. Either way, I look forward to more.

Very Interesting read.
And nice to see I'm not the only one having problems to adapt.
When I got my copy yesterday I recalled that Argentina always had been one of the easier countries to play in Vic I but opted for the US of A instead.
In the beginning I had the same budget problems but managed to get a surplus in the end by cutting "national stockpile" and "military spending" completely (of course that's only possible if one doesn't expect any entanglement in unplanned wars!)
- might be this could help Argentina as well?
If you somehow somehow manage to get into the black this way I think it's most advisable to subsidise trade ("negative tarriffs") and cut taxes for your capitalists.

And it seems you shouldn't build up your army until you acquired a big bank account. I managed to burn my ~8k in less than two weeks just half an hour ago (that's why I came here - to find some sprinkling source of income i might have missed... :rolleyes: ). Now my 6 manowars and the oppressed texans will have to wait another year - or two... or three...

Last edited:
I'm now in 1916. Things have been rather peaceful, and by building a large military I managed to sneak into the GP ranks (now rank #6). South America is in my SoI, except Colombia which is guarded closely by the U.S. Venezuela briefly became a GP in the 1890s but dropped again from the ranks before they became too troublesome.

My economy kinda sucks. I have two super-profitable factories: licquor and steel. All factories in Buenos Aires and Uruguay have closed, though, even when focusing on basics that I can supply with my own local raw materials (e.g. timber => lumber => furniture, or wine, or canned food).

Madagascar has recently been turned into a protectorate, same as Bali. Argentina is now now slowly colonizing the Pacific Islands (not in range for Africa which is being carved up by France (West) and Portugal (East - they have the Suez Canal, too).

Germany has not united, neither has Italy. Ottomans had to release Iraq and have become communist. The U.S. and UK had a lot of Commies in revolt, but they seem to have put them all down.

Argentina has discovered the South Pole, and we get spammed with trade fairs, colonial expositions and olympics events. I don't mind the amount of events, but I hope that patches/expansions/mods will add a bit more variety to the mix. ;)

Finally finished my Argentina game. The world at the end of 1935:

v2maparg193510211.jpg

Austria had a bit of "Drang nach Osten". UK has 1.2 billion people and 1800+ regiments of soldiers.

Spain becamse a bourgeois dictatorship. France, UK are HM Government. Austria is Prussian Const. Russia is absolute monarchy. U.S. is Democracy. Japan had the Meiji Restoration ... in 1934.

I colonized Inner Africa, Madagascar, the pacific crap. Portugal holds part of Arabia and Suez, Russia has Yemen (had to release Oman).

Notable communist countries: Ottoman Empire, Cuba, Dai-Nam, Sokoto, Ecuador, Serbia, Denmark.

Argentina finished 3rd. I had hardly any uprisings, though commies were becoming stronger towards the end and occasionally caused army units to rebel.

A nice AAR, even if it was a little short.